Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Post-Surgery Update

Last night at around 2:30 a.m. we finally got the call we were waiting all day for.  They were finished with Mr Boy's closure surgery.  The surgery took just over 19 hours.  Everything went as planned however it took longer than expected due to the abnormal anatomy of Mr Boy's body.

Mr Boy is doing really well and he is stable in a very sedated state.  It is hard to see the little boy we know and love in such a condition but know its very necessary for his first few days after surgery.  The hope is to keep Mr Boy paralyzed and sedated to keep him from causing injury to himself. Mr Boy has some pretty large scars and a very intimidating hinge and rod contraption holding his pelvic bones together.  It will take some time to get use to the "new look" but its very relieving knowing most organs are in better locations:)

The next week is critical in Mr Boy's healing process. We need to keep him still so his body heals shut and doesn't open back up. Once this week is over, it should be less critical, but more pain management as he will be awake. The metal contraption will stabilize his bones for the next 6 weeks. I for one am already excited for that to be gone! :)

As we said before, yesterday was very peaceful but it was also long. We were quite dazed and drained by the time 2:30 came around. When we finally got to see Mr Boy, it was a little overwhelming. I am quite a queasy person when it comes to blood and wounds but my mind was telling me, "Mr Boy looks so much better than I expected." Apparently my mind can not overpower my body which was falling apart. Right away I felt faint and knew I would if I did not leave the room and sit. I had a little trouble breathing and composing myself, so David sent me home right away. After some sleep and a good breakfast, we both feel a lot better, but we are going to take advantage of this evening when we know Mr Boy will be out and stable, and are going home to sleep. I had planned on being here 24/7 until he comes home, but we are going to regain our strength so we can be there for Mr Boy when he wakes and really, really needs us. Overall, we feel so blessed that things are calm and going so well.
Psalm 147 1-5 Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him! .... He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.


No comments:

Post a Comment